Oct 28, 2013

Just lose

You know that person. The one who is never wrong. The type that digs in their heels no matter what someone else says. The one who, when they are wrong, are more right. 

This article makes a point that the person who loses an argument is actually the winner. Why?

Because they came away with a new belief, that is well thought out and convincing.
“Suppose you and I have an argument. You believe a proposition, P, and I don’t. I’ve objected, I’ve questioned, I’ve raised all sorts of counter-considerations, and in every case you’ve responded to my satisfaction. At the end of the day, I say, ‘You know what? I guess you’re right.’ So I have a new belief. And it’s not just any belief, but it’s a well-articulated, examined and battle-tested belief. Cohen continues, “So who won that argument? Well, the war metaphor seems to force us into saying you won, even though I’m the only one who made any cognitive gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment